Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Charts  (Read 3815 times)

September 21, 2022, 12:07:32 PM
    • View Profile
Good day. I just found this great software and started to run. I set all initial configuration and seems all ok. But when I try to download the charts from the main menu (on the website) "Simple Estuary" to use with the OpenCPN, I couldn't though it said " Electronic chart (BSB format - right click to download)" but just shows normal menu and left click shows just text file. Appreciate if someone tell me how to download. Thanks

September 21, 2022, 11:53:28 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
When you right click, the wording will depend on your internet browser, but will be 'Save link as...' in Firefox.

Alternatively, if you click and see the text file (which is actually the chart, encoded in a text based format, with a header like this:
"! 2011 imgkap 1.11 - at 02/12/2013 from SimpleEstuary.tif"), then you can just save the file, making sure you use the extension .kap

If you then put the chart file in the folder where OpenCPN is expecting to find the charts, you should see it in OpenCPN. You may have to select the correct chart/zoom level in order to see it. The 'real world' location used for this training chart is south of Ireland, and west of Cornwall (SW England), so you may well see a blank base map until you manually select the correct chart in OpenCPN.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need any more guidance.

September 30, 2022, 03:01:28 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
Dear Forum_admin,
Thanks a lot. I could save the chart and use it on the OpenCPN!
Have a good day :)

October 16, 2023, 09:33:48 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
Hi!

I have followed instructions and the opencpn appears the estuary chart for some seconds and after is disappearing.
Could tou pls advise about this?

January 18, 2024, 12:06:54 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile
I think you have to check if you get the GPS information. Otherwise it is going to 0,0 that is not the location of your map.