Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Reversing the joystick in ver 5.5.3  (Read 10116 times)

April 26, 2021, 03:44:24 PM
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm just now discovering Bridge Command. I've always wanted a ship simulator (and a tugboat :)).

I set up a saitek aircraft yoke and throttle quadrant, and although the yoke is correct for the rudder, both the throttles (once I found the correct axes) are reversed.  Push forward runs engines backwards.

In another posting back in 2017, the forum admin states that reversing the joysticks will be present in release 5.

Can somebody clue me in?

Thanks,
Ed Greenberg

April 26, 2021, 08:48:54 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

You should be able to use the existing settings to do this. The joystick map converts the raw input to the engine proportion. If you use the settings editor, you should be able to flip the signs on the joystick_map(*,2) entries. So for example, you would change the from the default:

joystick_map(1,1)=-1
joystick_map(1,2)=-1
joystick_map(2,1)=-0.5
joystick_map(2,2)=-0.5

to:

joystick_map(1,1)=-1
joystick_map(1,2)=1
joystick_map(2,1)=-0.5
joystick_map(2,2)=0.5

Separately, I have added a feature to swap the rudder direction if needed, which will be in the next release (or is in the code/binaries on github), but I don't think you need this.

April 27, 2021, 01:05:43 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
I will give it a try. Thanks.

April 27, 2021, 09:55:48 PM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
Reversing the signs worked as expected.  Thank you. 

I would like to make some adjustments, but I still don't understand the relationship of the joystick_map(a,b) entries with the graph.  Could you explain a bit about the meaning of the three parameters on each line? 

Thanks,
Ed

April 28, 2021, 10:24:47 AM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, does the bottom section of https://www.bridgecommand.co.uk/Doc/joystick.php help with this?

April 28, 2021, 09:07:22 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
I did read this...  I understand the graph (joystick value,throttle value) but I didn't get it. Now I think I do, based on the last bullet point above the "Example joystick mapping" heading. I'll take another whack at it.

October 07, 2022, 07:37:03 PM
Reply #6
    • View Profile
I did it also but it not works.I use the console shipdriver.
I checked that the settings not change even though i press the button save and close.
Any help?

October 07, 2022, 10:35:14 PM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, EVIDIM can I check which version of Bridge Command you are running? From your description, I think this is version 4.

If so, in this old version, Bridge Command will use the settings file in the installation directory. If this is in 'Program Files' or similar, Windows will probably be preventing the ini file editor from actually saving (to prevent users accidentally changing system wide settings). Assuming you have admin rights on your computer, you should be able to edit the file directly (bc4.ini in the installation directory), or by running the settings editor as admin.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:41:22 PM by forum_admin »

October 08, 2022, 02:50:53 PM
Reply #8
    • View Profile
Hi!
First of all I would like to say a big thanks!!!
I have now downloaded the CB 5.7 and i ran as administrator.This works but only in throttles.
But it works reversable ( i do the starboard throttle astern and the ship is going ahead,or i do the port throttle astern and is going ahead)
The rudder also not works.
I have dound some settings through the forum for reversable throttles but they dont work to my console.
I try to find a solution, hoping to have a new feedback

October 21, 2022, 05:48:51 PM
Reply #9
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, for the reversed throttles, in the settings editor try changing joystick_map(1,2)=-1 to joystick_map(1,2)=1, and changing joystick_map(2,2)=1 to joystick_map(2,2)=-1. This should swap the engine direction.

For the wheel, have you tried different settings for the channel?