Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Boat.ini configuration  (Read 18517 times)

March 09, 2020, 12:14:14 PM
    • View Profile
Hello,

Right now I am studying the BC project and its source code and I am having some issues with understanding the boat.ini configuration. More precisely, DynamicsSpeedA and DynamicsSpeedB, DynamicsTurnDragA, DynamicsTurnDragB, DynamicsLateralDragA, DynamicsLateralDragB, RudderA, RudderB. I understand that they are used in calculations of maxSpeed, drag, acceleration etc. but where do the initial values come from? For instance, in the example at https://www.bridgecommand.co.uk/Doc/newmodels.php#own I can see that the initial values of  DynamicsSpeedA and DynamicsSpeedB, defined in the boat.ini, are 180000 and 12000 respectively. Where do these values come from? If I want to define my own boat model, where should I look for these values, what characteristics of a real vessel do they correspond to?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day

March 13, 2020, 09:38:55 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
In terms of an approach to this, I'd approach it in the following way, although there is a certain amount of guessing/estimation involved:

You should be able to find out the 'Max_propulsion_force' of the vessel, ie the maximum thrust developed by the propellors in Newtons. Either you can find this directly, or if you know the power, and the maximum speed, then the thrust must be (power[W]/speed[m/s]). Remember that 'Max_propulsion_force' is for a single engine.

When you know this, you also know that the total drag must equal the maximum propulsion force (from both engines if relevant) when the ship's at it's maximum speed.

If you want, it might be simplest to start assuming that all drag is proportional to the square of the speed (i.e. the DynamicsSpeedA term), and set the DynamicsSpeedB to zero. This allows you to say:

Total thrust [N] = DynamicsSpeedA * Maximum speed[m/s]^2, or

DynamicsSpeedA = Total thrust [N] / (Maximum speed[m/s]^2)

In reality, the total drag will be a combination of the 'A' and 'B' type, so you can adjust the A and B terms, so you still ensure that

Total thrust [N] = DynamicsSpeedA * Maximum speed[m/s]^2 + DynamicsSpeedB * Maximum speed[m/s]

Does this make sense? I have an excel sheet somewhere that might help, if that would be useful.

For the other terms, the same sort of approach applies. I would normally set the inertia from the known value (the polar moment of inertia about the ship's yaw axis), and then adjust the Rudder A and B terms to give a realistic start of turning motion (Rudder A sets the turning effect proportional to the ship speed, independent of the engine, so in an extreme example, would apply to a paddle steamer. Rudder B uses the engine speed, so accounts for the wash over the rudder from the propellor, which can turn the ship even if it is stationary). I'd then adjust the DynamicsTurnDrag terms to ensure that the steady rate of turn is reasonable for the rudder angle.

The lateral drag terms are used to account for side slip of the ship, and should be quite a bit higher than the normal drag terms.

March 20, 2020, 04:46:04 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, it does make sense and is more clear to me right now. Yes, an excel sheet would be really useful, thank you.

Best regards.