Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Azimuth drives - own ship  (Read 19428 times)

August 11, 2019, 12:36:44 PM
  • Officer of the Watch Deck
    • View Profile
I'm experimenting with this at the moment.  It will involve a fair amount of code rewrite but should be useable as a data structure for more flexibility of control surfaces

November 16, 2022, 06:17:30 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile
What's an azipod ? a propellor that can be rotated through 360 degrees (sometimes only 180) which gives steering and thrust function without a rudder.  They are common on tugs and other very maneouverable vessels.

As Ive been a bit busy havent made any contributions lately  I have a bit of time now, so I'm going to have a go at modelling azipods

Effectively the "rudder" will go through the full 360

Props only turn in one direction, so reverse is done by setting the azipod at an azimuth of 180 degrees

with respect to modelling azipods I've been looking at
OwnShip.cpp  update
modelling two azipods
Tp, Ts Thrust port and starboard respectively
Tsa = Ts cos (Aza) // Thrust Starboard pod axial = Thrust starboard * cos (Azimuth starboard)
Tst = Ts sin (Aza) // Thrust Starboard pod athwartships
smilarly port pod
Prop walk could be modelled as a force in the plane of each propellor but resolved according to the Azimuth of the pod

Some sort of "efficiency" could be modelled to simulate the reduction of effectiveness due to prop wash interacting with the hull and other pod

I think some sort of estimate of position of the pivot point would be necessary too based on a function of speed through the water, this would also aid the modelling of the response of bowthrusters.

any comments suggestions welcome

November 16, 2022, 06:32:48 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
I'm thinking of defining a new
controlMode == MODE_AZIPOD
as it may be cleaner than a series of if azipod on many of the lines