Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Merged: Software Modification Stary & Bridge Command 5.4.1 & Visual Studio Community 2017  (Read 12744 times)

November 23, 2018, 03:38:02 PM
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'd like to start some modifications of software.
What are you suggestion for files editor?

January 11, 2019, 07:28:21 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile
Thumbs up, it would be nice with a quick "this is needed for compiling on windows" etc.

I can't get compilation to work doing a git pull and opening the sln in either VS2015 pro or VS2017 pro.

January 11, 2019, 08:06:38 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
I would also like a "what to use for a clean build on windows", right now I can't get the code to compile in whatever vs I try.

Right now VS2015 is complaining about projects compiling to same folder, (.pdb issue), referenced files not in projects (irrlicht.h and asio - which can be fixed manually) and finally a reference to boost which is not in the git repo.

I actually don't know how to get it to compile nicely at the moment.

March 15, 2019, 05:52:33 PM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
On attempting to build on Win 7 using Visual Studio Community 2017  I was getting errors indicating that asio folders were missing 'boost'. Indeed they were.

So I downloaded the latest boost library and placed the folders in:
C:\bc-master\libs\asio\include 

Now it states that 'cannont open file 'libboost_date_time-vc141-mt-gd-x64-1_69.lib' because I downloaded ver 1.69.

Are some of the 141 boost files missing on the github source?
https://github.com/bridgecommand/bc

March 15, 2019, 09:37:52 PM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Asio can be used as a standalone library, without all of the rest of boost, and it should be set up like this in Bridge Command (from memory with the ASIO_STANDALONE flag). I'm not sure why this is not working for you, I'll have a look over the next week.

March 15, 2019, 09:57:58 PM
Reply #5
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, I missed this thread before. I build with VS Express 2015 on windows, so this should work without an issue, so I'll check my build setup for anything uncommitted. Boost should not be needed, as the ASIO_STANDALONE option is used, but if this isn't used, it indicates something isn't set up correctly.

March 21, 2019, 12:29:46 PM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've fixed the issue about multiple projects sharing the same output directory. (https://github.com/bridgecommand/bc/commit/df917d1a329af03756faea5d0def6b7398e7b081).

I can't see a problem with asio.h and irrlicht.h - they are included in the Git repository, and are included in the Visual Studio projects (in the External Dependencies section).

Please could you ensure you have a full clean checkout, and try again, posting the exact error message that comes up if it is still a problem?

March 21, 2019, 12:30:27 PM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

I can't see a problem with ASIO - it shouldn't need the rest of boost, and ASIO_STANDALONE is defined.

I have separately commited a change that should avoid warnings/errors due to a common intermediate directory for the different projects.

Please could you ensure you have a full clean checkout, and try again, posting the exact error message that comes up if it is still a problem?

James
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:46:41 PM by forum_admin »

April 15, 2019, 10:32:20 PM
Reply #8
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
There are a few issues here, which I'm trying to resolve:

Bridge Command is set up for 32 bit compilation only for Windows, but VS2017 defaults to the x64 configuration, which isn't set up. This gives the errors about finding irrlicht.h
I will manually remove the x64 configurations from the Visual Studio files, which should fix this.

Separately, I had hardcoded paths to items in the Windows SDK, which I am trying to resolve, but is non-trivial (different windows SDK versions put things in different places). I'll push the updates when complete.