Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: How much can a Raspberry Pi run  (Read 3200 times)

August 08, 2022, 05:25:31 PM
    • View Profile
I have been playing around with this simulator for work and am loving what I see so far. I would love to be able to run this off of a couple of raspberry pi's rather than PC's  to save on money and space.

My plan right now is to run the ENC and the Map Controller (I have been calling in Game Master) from raspberry pi's networked to a simulator PC that would run the Radar and driving. I would like to be able to run the simulator PC, Map Controller, and ENC all through three separate Pi's but I am curious if a Pi can actually work with all of the stuff needed for the visuals.

For testing right now I have two pi's one is a model 3 and the other a model 4. I planned to have the model 4 run the Map Controller and the 3 run the ENC. I was planning on also testing out the 4 on the simulator but dont want to waist my time if the answer is "pi doesnt have the power"

I saw the post from vpelss talking about what they did to get everything to run. But haven't seen anyone talk about running the simulator from the Pi with multiple screens (Radar and at least two screens for viewing).

August 12, 2022, 09:41:32 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, the raspberry Pi 4 is substantially more powerful than the Pi 3, so I'd suggest only using the Pi 4 for anything with 3d graphics, but radar only on the Pi 3 may be OK, and I can't see that you would have any problems with the map controller.

The 3d performance on the Pi 4 is OK but not brilliant - typically I think I was getting 10-15 fps, but with shaders for the sea turned off. So I think it may be OK, but potentially a bit marginal. Are you wanting multiple 3d views (for a panoramic view)? If so, the framerate becomes more important, because it also affects the lag between the different 3d views.

Hopefully this is useful, any feedback (and pictures) of how things work would be great!