Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Follow up rudder  (Read 7897 times)

July 13, 2017, 09:25:03 AM
  • Officer of the Watch Deck
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to simulate lag in the rudder.   On a real ship, when the wheel is turned to a rudder setting, then it takes an appreciable time for the actual rudder to move to that position unlike a speed boat where the rudder or outboard engine is linked directly and mechanically to the wheel.  On a large modern ship the wheel is essentially a potentiometer which requests a rudder angle and the rudder is actuated to that requested position by hydraulic rams in the steering room.  On my last ship it took about 20 seconds for the rudder to go from full hard over to full hard over (40 degrees) on the opposite side.  So this could be simply modelled with a parameter of RudderDegreesPerSecond = 4

A bowthruster would also be a nice addition

July 13, 2017, 10:56:58 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile
Hello elir71,

Actually rudder lag, bow and stern thrusters are already implemented in my version of Bridge Command 4.6. Currently is still under development so I did not release it to public. Just contact me if you are interested in further development.

July 14, 2017, 07:11:02 PM
Reply #2
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion elir71, the rudder lag is a very a good suggestion, and should be quite easy to implement. Definitely also worth looking at yamato980's version as well, it's a customised version of version 4.76including various enhancements for large ship operation.