Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Can't install a working BC5 on elderly laptops  (Read 20779 times)

September 04, 2017, 02:06:47 AM
    • View Profile
I just tried to install BC5 on our multiple (elderly) laptops, all running XP. I did not succeed on any of them. Several showed featureless black narrow rectangles for letters, some showed letters OK, and ran the simulation, but the radar and console were not showing properly - eg no blue and no echoes; steering scale not displaying. I checked in detail with one: ATi Mobility Radion 9000, OpenGL installed. Set to 32-bit colour, 1024x768.  I can't find any minimum machine spec for running BC5. So far as I know, these laptops are fine for BC4.x 
BC5 runs fine on my desktop W10, except for the annoying horizon pixellation which I thought you had cured early on in the alpha stage.
Any ideas? Thanks,
Regards,
Bob.

September 04, 2017, 07:36:00 AM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for testing this. I suspect the problem may be the level of OpenGL support from the driver. With 5.1 I will try and include directX support, which may help on older Windows machines. The pixellation will be the same, for example on my computer, the Windows OpenGL driver does not support anti-alisasing, whereas the Linux one does.

I will investigate compiling Bridge Command with DirectX support so you can test this. I will also be aiming to support Raspberry Pi, as an alternative low cost way of running Bridge Command.

James

September 04, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply. I will try the DirectX when you have it ready.

Horizon pixellation. Pity - it does hinder suspension of disbelief. I suggested last time "losing the horizon in haze". Is that a possibility, as well as being a real experience?

Regards,
Bob.