Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: OpenCPN plugin for Bridge Command use  (Read 10037 times)

August 31, 2016, 05:20:35 AM
    • View Profile
I'm thinking that a OpenCPN plug-in to show data from Bridge Command sessions is a grate idea!
- Radar overlay
- ohter navigatinal information like position, depth, heading

November 18, 2017, 09:55:51 AM
Reply #1
  • Officer of the Watch Deck
    • View Profile
did you get anywhere with this ?  Is it possible using TCP/IP or do you have to use a serial port ?

May 18, 2018, 12:03:56 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
I got this working on my build of 5.2

in the bc.ini file I set the following to make a udp output

NMEA_ComPort=""
NMEA_UDPAddress="localhost"
NMEA_UDPPort="10110"

you could use the ip address of anthoer computer if you were running your chartplotter on another one.
10110 is what NMAE strings are sent on by convention, however as long as they match on opencpn and bc.ini and are not used by other things they should work

On opencpn

Options (spanner or cog symbol) -> Connections -> Add Connection

Properties network
Protocol UDP
Address 127.0.0.1   (or whatever computer you are running bc on)
DataPort 10110
Priority 1
tick control checksum
tick receive input on this port
untick output on this port

Apply

tick enable in the list (possibly disable other sources)

OK

June 02, 2018, 05:24:33 PM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
An extension which I would like of this, would be otherships broadcasting AIS strings so they would come up as AIS targets on OpenCPN.  The string encoding is something I have briefly looked at and it is certainly non trivial ! since the encoding is in 6 byte chunks and the parameters being tranmitted can span several bytes and do not necessarily start or end at the start or end of any byte.  The key to it is a bit of binary maths where  aNumber * 2^i shunts the bits i places to the left (and when i is negative .. to the right)