Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: Create New Worlds II  (Read 31881 times)

June 02, 2014, 10:48:34 PM
    • View Profile
Hi I wonder if there is any tutorial that explains how to create a new world / scenario, I would like to collaborate with the project creating new worlds / scenarios for the simulator. Follow the instructions in the previous post but I do not understand how to generate the ground with the program L3DT. Thanks

June 05, 2014, 08:19:36 AM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, apologies for the delay in replying, I have been very busy recently.

I will try and create a simple step by step tutorial showing how to load a height map and create the world model. Are you interested in simulating a real area, or would you like to create a new virtual training area?

June 05, 2014, 12:43:11 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
Hello thank you very much for the reply, I'm interested in both. I try to create a world model of the Argentine coast, but if you create a simple step by step tutorial i could work on both types of world model.

I think its a very good idea to create a simulator open source code, Congratulations. I'm not an expert programmer, but I'm at your disposal to help.

If you want I can translate to Spanish the project documentation.

June 08, 2014, 12:36:38 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
Argentine cost good idea! For Argentine waters their are sea charts available in BSB format! I think to focus on parts of the world and areas where their is sea charts available on-line that works whit OpenCPN! For more info on that issue http://opencpn.org/ocpn/chart_sources and http://opencpn.org/ocpn/chart_formats
I'm interested in areas like pacific ocean that US NOAA and Land Information New Zealand has good available coverage for.
Brazilian and Argentine areas. Inland-water ways in Germany. The vector charts for Netherlands is interesting.
Can flightgear world scenery be a good inspiration? Bridge command need more detailed water depth information.

June 10, 2014, 07:36:13 PM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I am currently in the process of putting together a tutorial, using L3DT to create a new world area, and then importing into Bridge Command. I will try to have this ready next week.

Thanks for your offer of help with translation. This may be very useful, as I am currently developing the next version of Bridge Command, and I hope to set this up to allow translation more easily.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:38:38 PM by forum_admin »

June 12, 2014, 12:10:51 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, I have all the cartography of the Argentine coast in BSB (free) format.

Regarding the translations there is no objection I have some files of the program tutorial 4.6 already translated. But I love to work with the new version.

Thank you.

June 18, 2014, 02:35:14 PM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have put together a simple tutorial describing how to create a new world area with L3DT, and use it in Bridge Command. This is available at http://www.bridgecommand.co.uk/data/_uploaded/file/Developing%20a%20new%20world%20area.pdf. Please let me know if you have any questions or notice any mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:51:53 PM by forum_admin »

June 19, 2014, 12:30:59 PM
Reply #7
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, very good job, is very well explained, I will implement it and if I have questions I write. As I discuss'm translating all project documentation in Spanish, I hope this approach the Hispanic community to the project.

July 06, 2014, 06:32:52 PM
Reply #8
    • View Profile
Fantastic tutorial mate! I'll work on a location and hopefully have it running soon.  Will let you know how I go.

August 18, 2015, 09:17:40 PM
Reply #9
  • Officer of the Watch Deck
    • View Profile
I am developing world models based on the "not for navigation" instructional charts commonly used in nautical colleges (which are cheaply available).  Can anyone suggest where I could upload these to when they are ready ?