Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: AIS input and Google Earth?  (Read 14274 times)

April 11, 2014, 03:01:04 PM
    • View Profile
Hi there,

Is there any possibility of bringing in AIS to display in realtime in the sim? With the amount of AIS tracking sites out there, there is a lot of data available, one site is marinetraffic.com but there are a few.

It would be great to perform simulations with realtime shipping positions through AIS. Perhaps a standard model for cargo, tanker and/or passenger liner could be selected with the values given by the API data?

Thanks.
Regards
Brad

April 14, 2014, 08:14:50 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, that's certainly an interesting idea, I'll have a think about how it might be implemented.

April 21, 2014, 10:29:38 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
AIS input and output. I'm interested in output to chart-plotter. If That can be done for GPS simulation also then for AIS. OpenCPN (http://opencpn.org) has AIS NMEA sentences capability according to OpenCPN User Manual (help_en_US.html#NMEASentences). I have OpenCPN 3.2.2 on at least one of my computers.

June 18, 2014, 02:58:52 PM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I will certainly look into this. It should be relatively simple to construct AIS data for the ships in the simulation, and send this to a chart plotter.

July 06, 2014, 06:20:51 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile
That will be great, looking forward to it!  :)

December 03, 2018, 08:34:54 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
AIS input would be fun - NMEA input handling for some of the online AIS sources would be interesting.

April 05, 2019, 03:50:53 PM
Reply #6
  • Officer of the Watch Deck
    • View Profile
I wrote some experimental code to create AIS signals for ships ... which could be used as other ships, so that they would be visible to openCPN chart plotter.  The AIS transmissions use a 6 bit format. The code was very very bodgy and I am certain it could be done more elegantly. I will try to dig it out and post it